More Information On Flood Insurance

Every home or business is at risk of flood, so work with a Farmers agent to cover your property from loss.

Know Your Risk

We all live in a “flood zone” because any place is capable of flooding, given the right conditions. Even historically dry areas have been known to flood without warning. That’s why it’s important to protect your property with flood insurance, so you’re not left saying “I never thought it would flood here!” The question is, what type of coverage do you want?

The key is knowing your personal level of flood risk. Ask a Farmers agent to run a “flood zone determination” for your home or business, and they’ll help determine if you live in one of the following:

  • High Risk Zones: Homes in high risk flood zones are more likely to be damaged by flood than fire.
  • Low-to-moderate Risk Zones: Even though homes and buildings outside of high-risk zones are not required to carry flood insurance, they still account for about 25% of all National Flood Insurance Program claims and they receive one third of Federal Disaster Assistance for flooding.

In other words, you don’t have to be near a body of water to be at risk. Anywhere it can rain, it can flood.

Flood insurance coverage options:

Preferred Risk Policy

If your building is in an area with a low to moderate flood risk, you may be eligible for a low-cost Preferred Risk policy. Two types of coverage are offered: building and contents-combined or contents only.

If you don't qualify for a Preferred Risk policy, a Standard Risk policy is available.


Standard Risk Policy

Customers in high-risk areas can qualify for Standard Risk coverage for combined coverage, building only, or contents coverage only.

How much Flood insurance can I get?

Coverage limits for Flood insurance are based on the value of the building and its contents. Maximum coverage limits are determined by the National Flood Insurance Program, as follows:

What does Flood insurance cover?

Flood insurance covers direct physical loss to your building and its contents caused by flooding.

Building Property coverage includes:

  • Building and Foundation
  • Electrical and Plumbing Systems
  • Central Air Conditioning Equipment, Furnaces, and Water Heaters
  • Refrigerators, Stoves, and Built-in Appliances such as Dishwashers
  • Permanently Installed Carpeting over Unfinished Flooring
  • Permanently Installed Paneling, Wallboard, Bookcases, and Cabinets
  • Window Blinds
  • Detached Garages, up to 10% of Building Property coverage


Contents coverage includes:

  • Personal Belongings, such as Clothing, Furniture, and Electronic Equipment
  • Curtains
  • Portable Air Conditioners
  • Portable Microwave Ovens and Portable Dishwashers
  • Carpets not Permanently Installed over Unfinished Flooring
  • Washers and Dryers
  • Freezers and Food Contents
  • Valuable Items such as Original Artwork and Furs, up to $2,500
  • Replacement Cost Coverage is not available for Personal Property

Other Coverages:

  • Debris Removal at Federal Minimum Wage, not subject to deductible
  • Loss Avoidance Measures, $1,000 limit, no deductible
  • Increased Cost of Compliance — Flood Proofing, Relocation, Elevation, and Demolition, subject to limitations and qualifying criteria

Who is eligible for coverage?

Flood insurance is available in all 50 states, as long as your community participates in the National Flood insurance Program (except in Coastal Barrier Resources System (CBRS) areas). Contact a Farmers agent for more information and to see if your community participates.

Find an Agent and Get a Quote

Floods are damaging enough without the added concern of financing repairs and restoration. Get started finding the Flood insurance that fits your home or business today.

Contact a Farmers agent in your area for more information about Flood insurance.


This brief summary is not a policy document. Please read the actual policy documents for your state for important details on coverages, exclusions, limits, conditions, and terms. If there is any conflict between this summary and the policy documents, the policy documents will control. Not all products and discounts are available in every state.